Career Resolutions in the New Year

Each year, millions of people embark on a variety of New Year’s resolutions, often focused on career. But according to U.S. News in an article posted by Business Insider, only 20% of people will actually follow through with them. Even more surprising is the statistic that most people fail to complete their resolutions by February. If in the past you’ve been one of the individuals included in that remaining 80%, make this the year you meet your career and personal goals by following these five tips below.

  1. Identify an Accountability Partner
    Before you commit to any resolutions, identify a partner or group that you can work with towards your goals. Whomever you choose, make sure they are going to push you and that you can push them as well, especially during those difficult moments. In addition, have an action plan to report out on a timely basis. Lastly, create a code word or phrase that sets off an alarm when someone is on the verge of failing to keep their resolution.
  2. Take care of yourself
    It starts with taking care of your “star player"", and that star player is “you”. Sleeping 7-8 hours a day, eating healthy and exercising have all been linked to better productivity in the workplace and many would argue in life. If you don’t feel well, it can affect every facet of your life. Find time to take care of yourself and everything else will fall in line. You only get one body, so make it a priority to take care of it by exercising daily, sleeping, eating healthy and making regular visits to your physician.
  3. Actively network outside of work.
    Even if you're not looking for a new job or career, you should make networking a part of your regular communication routine. Attending networking events and joining social media groups on sites such as LinkedIn and Facebook can help you stay active in your industry. In addition, networking can help you make valuable connections, learn new things, and help you improve your skills as a professional. Networking takes effort, and it’s not only to help you advance your career but for you to help others in their careers as well.
  4. Do your own career evaluation.
    Who knows you better than you? Critique and evaluate your job performance as if you were your own boss. What do you do well? How can you improve? Write down projects or tasks you would like to take on for the year and a plan to accomplish them. Take time to sit down and adjust, reevaluate or set new goals. Track your progress and make changes accordingly to ensure your ultimately happy with direction your career is going.
  5. Get certified in one new skill.
    The job landscape is an ever-changing and continual learning environment. Learning a new skill increases your value and makes you a desirable employee. Whatever skill you choose, make sure it is something that interests you and will add value to your resume as this will help keep you motivated over the course of the year.

The Trust is here to support you.
Ready to learn how?