Step back in time for a moment. Do you remember when you were in grade school talking to friends about what you wanted to be when you grew up? You had hopes, dreams, and goals, and it didn’t matter how big they were. Today; your life is a little different than what it was in grade school, now you are in reality. Can you confidently say that you still have hopes, dreams and goals like you did in grade school? Even though you are not running around on playgrounds and fantasizing about what to do with your life, you can still have those same goals. The question is how do you remind yourself?
- Make a list of the most important aspects in your life. Write down any hopes, dreams and goals you have. They could be visiting all seven continents, starting a company or purchasing a vacation home. This list is yours so it can be anything!
- Organization is key! When organizing, some goals could be short or long term, home life versus career. Your mind cannot focus on 10 goals at once, so take each goal or dream step by step. Remember, it is okay to take your time.
- Be creative with your list. Use pictures so you can visualize your dreams more easily than just looking at words. For example, if you wanted a bigger home, print off a picture of your dream home and look at it daily. Consider a storyboard, Pinterest or other visual tools to help you SEE your dreams and goals.
- Keep your list with you. Have a copy of your list on your desk at work, on your refrigerator or make it a background on your phone! Make yourself look at it regularly.
- Have a support system. Find people who have the same aspirations as you. Maybe it is your significant other, best friend, or maybe you will gain a new friend. Find someone who will help give you that extra push if you fall off track.
- Review. Now that you have a list, organization and a support system, you can start to keep track of what you accomplish. It is up to you to find out how often to review your progress. Some goals you might need to check in every week, others can be more spaced out. This is all tailored to your needs. These are your hopes, dreams and goals!