Whether you are an avid exerciser or sit for most of the day, taking a break for some easy movement is a sure fire way to feel better, become more alert and perhaps provide some relief from stress. At EXOS, we refer to this break as a movement supplement – it is simply a small part of your day that can make a large difference in how you feel.
Whether your activity levels are low or you're an avid exerciser that may train for 1 hour a day, there is still a large portion of the day that you may be seated or lying down whether at work or home. A movement supplement is a great way to keep you alert and mobile. For the person who has a desk job or is mostly sedentary a movement supplement may be just enough to alleviate some stiffness and increase circulation.
The movement supplement is good any time of day whether at work or home. Just set out 2-4 minutes to reap the rewards. Most people benefit from doing the routine once or twice a day. For those that are seated and doing focused work, you could try every 90 minutes for a huge payoff.
What movement supplement should you perform? The answers are many and varied but here are a few suggestions.
1) The Fundamental
• Lie on your back with your legs straight and arms at your side. While keeping both legs straight raise one up to a comfortable height and back down. Perform 5 each leg.
• Lie on your back with feet flat and knees bent. Bridge up by lifting your glutes off of the ground and return to the starting position. Perform 5-10 bridges.
• Position yourself on all fours with hands, knees and feet on the floor as if you were going to crawl. Rock your body back slowly so your glutes go toward your heels. Repeat 5-10 times.
• Stand up and march in place for 10 seconds.
2) The Walk
• Stand up and walk in place for 1-2 minutes.
• Take a walk around the office corridors or house for 2-3 minutes.
• Find a set of stairs and go up and down a few times.
• Walk outside and take a loop around the block or the parking lot nearest you.
3) Chair Up
• Stand up from your chair.
• Bend your knees and slowly reach your hands down to a comfortable distance.
• Stand up tall.
• Push your hips back and sit down.
• Repeat for 1 minute
LEARN MORE ABOUT EXOS' LIFESTYLE SERVICES BY CONTACTING YOUR PROGRAM MANAGER TODAY.
DON'T HAVE A PROGRAM MANAGER? GET ENROLLED IN THE TRUST BY CALLING 866.725.0063 OR E-MAILING US AT INFO@PLAYERSTRUST.COM.