Since 2001, the Center for the Study of Retired Athletes (CSRA) at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, in collaboration with the NFLPA, has been investigating the spectrum of physical and mental challenges these former athletes face, and has provided medical care to former athletes as part of a clinical research protocol.
The UNC Brain and Body Program (designed for former players within 15 years of retirement) and Milestone Wellness Assessment (designed for former players more than 15 years of post-retirement) are both offered by the CSRA in collaboration with UNC’s Departments of Neurology and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Both programs provides former athletes with a comprehensive evaluation of their cognitive, mental, and physical functioning at UNC’s state of the art medical facilities. Each program is tailored specifically for the needs of former players at these unique stages of their post-football lives. Through participation in these programs, we hope to improve the quality of life for former athletes so they may fully appreciate life after sports.
How The University of North Carolina Can Assist You:
- Initial Screening and Medical History
- Evaluation with a Sports Medicine Physiatrist
- Neuropsychological Evaluation
- Evaluation with a Cognitive Neurologist
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Body Composition/Dietary Consultation
- Life Skills Coach/Transition Counseling
- Other Specialized Appointments Tailored to Brain & Body/Milestone Wellness Program Participant Needs
- Program Evaluation
- Post Day of Care Follow-Up